Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Warsaw - The Royal Castle. Beyond Amazing

Today I needed to get moving and planned on going to a museum. Instead I ended up at the The Royal Castle right in Old Town. Saturday, the old town area was full and I estimate that there were 50,000 people through out the day having fun, a family day, balloons, fun, music, horse carriages, food. What a vibrant area.

I thought I'd just visit the castle and look at the outside, but instead went in to tour it.   I try to be careful when I go places that I don't study them too much before hand so I have surprises. I'm not a Steve Ricks studier.........spoils all surprises for me......so I just like to know basically what it is and then go. Well, nothing would have even prepared me for the this.   I could have broken into tears several times seeing the overwhelming beauty of this place. I was happy also to see a few Rembrandt paintings there (an armed guard was stationed by those paintings). Amazing paintings, tapestries, sculptures and furniture and all things that were unbelievable.  I think I was most impressed with the floors throughout.  Almost every room had a different pattern and they were really works of art.

The castle was burned and looted by the Nazis after they invaded Poland in 1939 and almost completely destroyed it in 1944 after the failed Warsaw uprising. The castle was rebuilt and reconstructed. It is now a protected UNESCO World Heritage site.

So I'll share some pictures and I know they won't convey the majesty. I would hope that those who love to travel will be able to experience this marvelous place.




Marble Room























A well deserved coffee break.







No comments:

Post a Comment