Monday, October 14, 2013

Santa Fe, NM Part II

Drove downtown (Saturday) and it was a total tourist mad house.  We left and went up the hill to the new Santa Fe Botanical Garden.  Not many folks there, it was peaceful and we enjoyed our walk through this very new, not established garden.  Wish I could see it in 20 years and see the changes.


Colorful little succulent

Snow in mountains


Could not resist buying a New Mexico ristra, chili that dries and you can use them for cooking.  So pretty. This will be in our car for the journey to Florida (am I nuts?).

Famous Hatch chili

Fun store, Jackalope

John and I had so much fun make carne adovada (pork in red chili).  Took quite a bit of work.  Boy I'll say it is great to cook in a huge, wonderful kitchen with gas burners.  What a treat!!!!!  Thank you Jim and Ann.  I am going to freeze some of our meat for when they get home.  We ended up with two pots full.  So burritos and the BSU game, what could be better?


John was such a great help

John cleaned all the chilis.  They don't
bother him, I have to wear gloves.

Original New Mexico dish
Carne Adovada
We have enough for a party

Sunday, did some wash, chores around the house and then decided to get out of here and go for a Sunday drive.  Went down the "Turquoise Trail" that includes mining towns of Madrid and Cerrillos.  They mined for turquoise, silver, gold and also coal.  Very interesting.  Fun shops and these town are now supported by tourists.  Some beautiful jewelry, pottery.  We we went into one shop and the lady asked what we'd done today and I said, Oh, we just are taking a Sunday drive."  Then she said, "where are you from?" and I said, "Boise, Idaho."  She said, "Oh, that's quite a drive" and we all just cracked up.  Explained we were in Santa Fe, but it was funny.  Met a nice man named Jose, who was here for Balloon Festival.  He is from Minneapolis and owns a house in Clearwater -- where we are headed.  We visited quite a bit and we may see him if he gets down to Florida later this year.




Cloud bank over Santa Fe

Pre-sunset

Sunset in beautiful New Mexico





























3 comments:

  1. Beautiful skies. I miss the west. We'll be out there this winter and spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures!! Of course you meet someone from Clearwater...I bet you never meet a stranger lol I hope to go see the Santa Fe Botanical Garden in 20 years of you are not around to do so but I'd love it if you were even if I had to push you in a wheelchair!! Gotta love a man who can help cook...it's fun to travel and cook with a good man...I used to have someone to do those things with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh forgot to add: I'm sure you knew you were nuts before asking buuuttttt I'm not sure it is just because you are driving that chili pepper from NM to FL LOL....I have MANY friends that are nuts so you will fit right in

    ReplyDelete